Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Shari: An Afternoon at the Met



It was pouring in NYC earlier this afternoon, which was cause for us to forgo our plans for the day -- walk around Central Park and check out the zoo before hiking uptown to see the Guggenheim -- and instead seek shelter at the Met. Because we had to trek through the park in the downpour though, we still were pretty soaked by the time we got to the museum despite the umbrellas and ponchos we bought from the park gift shop. Well, it's an experience we're not likely to forget.

Anyway, the Met is awesome, but also awesomely huge that I didn't even get to completely look around in the two hours or so we were there. I was lucky enough to be able to catch the Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty exhibit. The dresses were absolutely divine. People weren't allowed to take photos of the clothes though.

But my favorite part of the museum was the Wrightsman Galleries for French Decorative Arts, where they recreated rooms from French houses and hotels. Seriously, the opulence of it all was just to die for. The ornate panels, the huge chandeliers, the antique furniture -- it was all so beautiful and indulgent that you can totally imagine how wonderful French life must have been prancing around those rooms.

I was using a point and shoot without the flash, so bear with the photos.








Insert witty Marie Antoinette reference here. 

My second favorite might be Rodin's Cupid and Psyche sculpture. I absolutely adore that story -- it's still one of my favorite love stories to date -- so seeing it in marble is kind of great. Also, how often in my life am I going to be able to stand in front of a Rodin?


No comments:

Post a Comment